Wednesday 17 October 2012

*Guest post* Kiras Top 101 Favorite Films of All Time...



Here's my mate Kira pitching in with her list. NOTE- This list reads from her number 1 at the top, down to number 101, I took the liberty of numbering the top 25, but the rest are not numbered.

It's another great list, with pleasingly high placements for some often unsung greats. One question for my antipodean friend; No room for my favorite Aussie film, 'Shine'? Ah well. Enjoy.


Kira Morsley’s 101 Top Films


1-The Princess Bride
THE best adventure/fantasy/comedy ever made. Seriously, it’s got everything – including possibly the greatest sword fight ever committed to film.

2-The King’s Speech
Just a superbly made film with the right balance of pathos and light-heartedness. Geoffrey Rush is fabulous, and even Jennifer Ehle’s ‘Perth’ accent is semi-plausible. The subject matter really hit a nerve too.

3-Labyrinth
David Bowie in Purple tights. Need I say more?

4-Elizabeth
Cate Blanchett inhabits Elizabeth like no one else could. Also tickles my costume-drama fancy.

5-The Usual Suspects
The ensemble cast in this, along with the excellent writing, makes it one of my faves. Also the twist ending is just so freaking clever.

6-Romeo + Juliet
Love me some Shakespeare, love me some Luhrmann.

7-Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
My favourite Indy, pandering again to my love of all things historical, and this time with added bonus Sean Connery!

8-Amadeus
Yet another costume bonanza, this time with the most sublime music ever written.

9-The Hunt for Red October
This one made me kinda want to join the CIA. Or the Russian Navy.

10-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Wouldn’t be a complete list without some Python, and this one is my first and favourite of their films.

11-Strictly Ballroom
So many hilarious one liners!

12-Schindler’s List
What could have been a schlocky disaster is affecting and brilliant thanks to some glorious performances and Spielberg’s careful handling.

13-West Side Story
The first musical on this list, and not the last. One of my earliest memories of a film musical, and the score, songs and dance numbers make this my favourite.

14-Silence of the Lambs
Scared to death by Hannibal Lecter, and I loved it.

15-Sin City
So stylish and sexy.

16-The Departed
Brilliant writing and a fantastic ensemble cast.

17-Good Will Hunting
Robin Williams in my favourite performance of his.

18-My Fair Lady
Another lavish, spectacular musical with tough but somehow vulnerable Audrey Hepburn as Eliza.

19-Closer
Some of my favourite actors in some truly meaty work. I was having scenegasms all the way through. ‘Fuck off and die, you fucked up slag’ remains one of my favourite movie lines ever.

20-The Prestige
A really big story, with big performances. I was creeped out but thrilled by it.

21-Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Worth it just for the ping-pong scene.

22-Sense and Sensibility
More costume drama!

23-The Hunger Games
I loved the book, and the film totally did it justice.

24-The Wizard of Oz
Is there anyone who doesn’t love this film? The seminal Movie Musical

25-Up
The first twenty minutes had me in tears, and I was hooked.

Fight Club
Black Swan
Zodiac
Moulin Rouge
Henry V
Forrest Gump
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Lion King
Seven
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Wall-E
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Braveheart
Gladiator
The Little Mermaid
Love, Actually
Snatch
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds
Star Trek
Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi
Shutter Island
Brokeback Mountain
Apollo 13
Iron Man
Mission: Impossible
Goldeneye
Funny Girl
American Beauty
Boogie Nights
Die Hard
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
The Professional (Leon)
Top Gun
Transformers: The Movie
Interview With the Vampire
Ghostbusters II
Back to the Future
Edward Scissorhands
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
La Vie en Rose
Dangerous Liaisons
Cabaret
The Truman Show
Stand By Me
Dirty Dancing
Serenity
300
The Graduate
The Fifth Element
Sherlock Holmes
Batman Begins
Catch Me If You Can
Hamlet
Chaplin
Grease
Valkyrie
Amelie
Wilde
The Breakfast Club
Tootsie
American Psycho
The Great Escape
All That Jazz
The Goonies
Enter the Dragon
Chopper
The Matrix
Doubt
Delovely
Ghandi
Thelma & Louise
True Lies
Three Kings
Carrie
Philadelphia

1 comment:

  1. Greggles, I have brought shame upon my country by never having seen 'Shine' all the way through, therefore I cannot include it. I shall rectify this.

    ReplyDelete